Opening Doors is a free community leadership program for people who are passionate about making a difference in their local area. We work with people from all ages, backgrounds and abilities to reduce social isolation and work towards a more socially inclusive society.
“Opening Doors opened my eyes to what is possible in my community. It helped me to not just think of myself as a leader, but also to be a leader.” – Joan, Opening Doors graduate
2019 Outer East Program will commence on the 15th of September (Knox, Maroondah & Yarra Ranges)
2019 Inner East program currently underway
Celebrating 10 Years of Transforming Communities
Opening Doors has supported more than 200 leaders from diverse backgrounds, skill-sets and abilities to lead lasting change in their local communities.
If you are passionate about social inclusion and live, work or play in Melbourne’s Inner-East (Boroondara, Manningham, Monash, Whitehorse) and/or Outer East (Knox, Maroondah or Yarra Ranges), we would love to hear from you.
In the Inner East: Please contact program coordinator Alex Mills on 8822 8327 / 0448 308 052 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In The Outer East: Please contact Project Officer Marisa Briant on 8822 8334 or 0429 407 006 or at email@example.com.
You can also follow us on Facebook.
Held once a year, Opening Doors is provided free to 20+ community members who are passionate about working towards a more socially inclusive society.
Over a six month period, we explore a broad range of topics and issues with our participants, including:
- Developing your personal leadership skills
- Understanding and addressing social isolation
- Engaging with communities from an asset-based perspective
- Building consensus within community and empowering others to act
- Project management, principles and strategies
- How to write a successful grant application
- Building your networks and creating partnerships
- Marketing, promotion and social media skills
- Self-care and sustainability
- Leadership Skills
We support our participants to develop grass roots projects which celebrate the strengths and passions of their community, and engage people who may be at risk of isolation. These projects have come from a broad a range of communities and areas, including disability, mental health, refugee groups, new and emerging communities, gender equality, positive aging, problem gambling and many more.
Since 2009, The Opening Doors Program has assisted in creating:
- 207 graduates who have the knowledge, skills, networks and confidence to take a lead in their communities
- More than 120 grass-roots initiatives that build stronger, more inclusive and connected communities
- Over 60,000 community members who are now connected with their communities in new and positive ways
- A network of over 150 different organisations, business and groups collaborating to strengthen communities through their support of The Opening Doors Program
To find out more about Opening Doors or how you can get involved, please contact:
Alex Mills (Inner East)
Phone: 03 8822 8327
Mobile: 0448 308 052
Marisa Briant (Outer East)
Phone: 03 9563 2893
Mobile: 0429 407 006